Mama Malaka (Grand Indonesia Shopping Town, Jakarta)

Exterior

Grand Indonesia Shopping Town is one of the largest malls in Jakarta and it's always packed with people especially on weekends. Not a big fan of crowded restaurant, I searched for a calmer and less crowded restaurant that day and my eyes went to the signage of this restaurant, Mama Malaka. Judging from the name, you can tell that this restaurant is specialized in serving peranakan cuisine. I have been craving for peranakan cuisine so much and I haven't found decent restaurant that served great peranakan cuisine in Jakarta, so I decided to give Mama Malaka a try!

Interior
Interior
Decoration

The restaurant itself is quite big and spacey, I reckon they can accommodate up to 100 people. The interior was simple and it gives off cozy and homey ambiance. Thankfully, It was not really crowded that day, so I got seated as soon as I entered the restaurant. But unfortunately, I got a seat near the corner of the restaurant where the lighting is not really great and I was striving to take a great food pictures that day. Despite the bad lighting, I felt quite satisfied with my pictures and I hope all of you will love it as well!

Let's get started with the foods!

Peranakan Chicken Satay (IDR 39k)
Peranakan Chicken Satay

Peranakan Chicken Satay is basically chicken satay served with peanut sauce and it was served along with pickles. Judging from the smell, I really had high expectation for this menu, because the smell was really intriguing and appetizing, and (gosh!) it was super duper freaking delicious! The chicken was really lovely, it was tender, flavorful and grilled to perfection. I love how they marinated the chicken before they grilled it and the peanut sauce was simply perfection, it went really well with the chicken satay. Oh! and I have to told you that the chicken satay was really huge, (yes, it was huge!) so it's really worth the price!

Peranakan Chicken Satay

Char Kuay Teow (IDR 39k)
Char Kuay Teow

It's been really hard to find decent Char Kuay Teow in Jakarta, I have tried a lot of Char Kuay Teow in different restaurants in Jakarta, but I just couldn't get a great one that suit my palate. But, this one is an exception, even though it's not 100% suited my palate, it was really close to what I've been searching for! The kway teow was topped with scallions, prawns, squids, tauge (bean sprouts) and it was perfectly seasoned, it tasted slightly spicy, sweet and salty, the combination of flavor was just right and I love how the kway teow was not too soggy. The portion was quite big as well, so prepare your tummy!

Char Kuay Teow

Roti Tissue (IDR 29k)
Roti Tissue

Roti Tissue or Tissue Prata is usually called as thinner version of Roti Canai, it was a unique and intriguing dish, I believe almost all table ordered this Roti Tissue at that time. The bread was super thin and it was crispy in a good way, it was a little bit salty (I reckon they used butter on the bread) and sweet because there were sprinkles of sugar on the top of the bread. The combination of sweetness and saltiness was just perfect and it was nice to have this menu as snack. The portion itself was (once again) huge, and I really love the presentation of this dish!

Roti Tissue

Beverages
Ice Chin Chow (Left), Ice Tea (Right)

Ice Chin Chow (IDR 24k)
Ice Chin Chow is a drink that contains shredded grass jelly, it had a perfect level of sweetness and it was a refreshing drink indeed.

Ice Tea (IDR 10k)
The Ice Tea they served was pretty decent and refreshing.

Overall, I really enjoyed my visit to Mama Malaka, the food they served was pretty delicious and the portion was big as well, the place was nice and the service was okay. The price was pretty affordable and it's worth every single cent. So, did Mama Malaka succeed to fulfill my cravings for decent peranakan cuisine? I have to say absolutely yes, the food they served almost met my expectation and I wouldn't mind to have another visit to this restaurant, I'm glad that I decided to give this restaurant a try!

Mama Malaka
Grand Indonesia Mall, Lantai 3A, Sky Bridge, Jl. MH Thamrin, Thamrin, Jakarta
(021) 23581061

Opening Hours:
Mon - Sun : 11.00 - 22.00

Get latest update on your feed!
Follow me on:

No comments

Powered by Blogger.