Trip to Bukittinggi, West Sumatra - Day 1

Gadang House

(Hello guys!)

If you follow my instagram, I bet you must have known that I just came back from my trip to Bukittinggi, West Sumatra. It was my first visit to Bukittinggi and I am  satisfied because I have encountered many breathtaking scenery and great food which I'm going to share real soon! (I will split my travel experience into 3 posts)

In order to reach Bukittinggi, you can take any flight to Minangkabau International Airport, Padang and then you have to take bus for around 4 hours. You might spot a lot of Gadang House (traditional house of Minangkabau) during your trip to Bukittinggi and beautiful scenery which consists of hills, mountain and forest. I'll let the picture speak for itself!

Scenery
Scenery
Scenery
Scenery

My first destination was Maninjau Lake, in order to get here you have to pass through the mighty road namely "Kelok 44", which consists of forty four hairpin curves. I was quite surprised when I saw the hairpin curves because it is literally scary, I couldn't imagine if I have to drive here by myself. After you have passed the "Kelok 44" you will arrive at Maninjau town which is a small town located nearby Maninjau Lake.

Maninjau
Maninjau
Maninjau
Maninjau Lake

We decided to have lunch at Maninjau Indah Hotel which located just beside the Maninjau Lake. Too bad the Maninjau Lake was fully covered with fog and I could barely see anything except the silhouette of hills at the other side of the lake. As for the food, I was hoping to taste authentic Padang cuisine but it turns out that the food didn't have anything special.

Food

We continued our journey to Bukittinggi for around 2 hours from Maninjau Lake. The worst thing is we have to pass through the mighty "Kelok 44" once more, I just can't imagine how the people here are able to deal with it because they have to pass through "Kelok 44" every time they would like to go to city.

Jam Gadang

I stayed at The Hills Bukittinggi Managed by Accor hotel which is located strategically at the heart of Bukittinggi city. The hotel is rated 4-stars hotel and I enjoyed my stay at this hotel for 3 days and 2 nights. I will do different post for review about the hotel for convenience purposes.

Interior
Interior
Interior

Then, we continued our journey to Padang Panjang city to have dinner there. It was around 1 hour trip by bus. Padang Panjang city is one of the smallest city in West Sumatra and I personally love the city more than Bukittinggi, because it is quiet, peaceful and had breathtaking scenery. For your information, the famous "Sate Padang Mak Syukur" is located in this city as well!

We went to a place called Minang Village and we got to experience Makan Bajamba, as stated by Wikipedia, it is procession of dining with sit above the floor out together in Minangkabau people tradition which is held in tradition ceremonies, tradition festival, and other important rendezvous.

Minang Village
Minang Village
Minang Village
Minang Village

The unique thing about Makan Bajamba is you have to use your bare hand to scoop the rice and other dishes into your mouth. Some people might find it weird or maybe gross about eating with hand, but sometimes it is great to experience another culture, right?

Don't worry because they will provide water to wash your hand. In case you don't know, Padang cuisine is well-known to have strong flavor from the spices, rich taste of succulent coconut milk and spicy chili and super oily, but trust me, it tasted super duper delicious although it might not be healthy to eat those kind of food everyday. (lol!)

Bajamba Dinner
Bajamba Dinner

Last but not least, I am going to share an amazing midnight snack that I ate before I went to sleep. It is a humble street food called "Martabak Mesir". It is similar like "Martabak Telor" but it is different in a good way. Martabak Mesir consists of generous amount of minced meat and served along with super delicious dipping sauce. Perhaps this is one of the most delicious food that I have ever eaten in my life. You can have a portion of Martabak Mesir for IDR 15k (super cheap and definitely worth it!)

Martabak Mesir

If I have to name one thing that I miss from my trip to Bukittinggi, I would not hesitate to say Martabak Mesir. (yes, it was that good!) Oh, I'm drooling right now..

Stay tune to my next post about Trip to Bukittinggi, West Sumatra - Day 2!

Get latest update on your feed!
Follow me on:

No comments

Powered by Blogger.