15 Must-Have Street Foods in South Korea

Love Lock

안녕하세요! (hello!)

I just can't believe that today is already the last day in 2015, it feels like time flow really fast lately.(or maybe it's just me?) For the last post in 2015, I decided to dedicate the post to share about complete guide of must-have street foods in South Korea. As you might know already if you have been following my Instagram, I just traveled to South Korea at the end of October and it was an unforgettable trip especially with all those great foods that I had. (lol!)

Autumn Leaf

Some people said that it is best to travel to South Korea during Spring or Fall season because the weather is nice, not overly cold and not too hot. So yeah, I managed to travel to Korea during Fall season and I have to say that I freaking love the weather though sometimes it's super cold. (it even reached -1 degree Celcius) Still, I found the weather was pretty lovely compared to almost-everyday-super-hot weather in my country.

Let's get started with the street food(s), shall we?

#1 Poop Bread (동빵)
Poop Bread

Poop Bread is basically poop-shaped bread filled with red bean paste. It does look super cute with those animated poop shape and not to mention it tasted pretty delicious as well.

Where to Find?
At humble street food stall in Insa-dong area.
*You can also find these in another street food stall across Seoul*

How Much?
KRW 3000

Poop Bread

#2 Honey Crispy Chicken (닭강정)
Honey Crispy Chicken

Honey Crispy Chicken is basically fried boneless chicken glazed with honey and spicy sauce. As this has become popular lately, there are many variants of the flavor such as barbecue, original honey and spicy honey. I also added cheese sauce for KRW 500!

Where to Find?
At street food stall in Hong-dae area
*You can also find these in another street food stall across Seoul*

How Much?
KRW 3000 - KRW 5000

#3 Corn Dog (핫도그)
Corn Dog

Corn Dog is Korean-style hot-dog in which the hot-dog is wrapped with fried potatoes and topped with tomato and barbecue sauce. A perfect snack to fill hungry tummy, don't you think so?

Where to Find?
At street food stall in Insa-dong area
*You can also find these in another street food stall across Seoul*

How Much?
KRW 2000 - KRW 3000

#4 Cold Noodle / Naengmyeon (냉면)
Cold Noodle

Cold Noodle is basically a glass noodle served along with veggies, grilled pork meat, boiled egg and cold clear broth. I am not a big fan of cold main dishes and I found this one tasted pretty unique.

Where to Find?
At Yookssam Naengmyeon in Myeong-dong
*You might also find these in another restaurant across Seoul*

How Much?
KRW 7000

#5 Korean Chicken Skewer / Dalgkkochi (닭꼬치)
Korean Chicken Skewer

Korean Chicken Skewer is basically boneless chicken meat and veggies on skewer topped with sweet and spicy sauce. Nothing beat the good-old-style chicken grilled on skewer, right?

Where to Find?
At street food stall in Insa-dong area
*You can also find these in another street food stall across Seoul*

How Much?
KRW 2000

#6 Egg Bread / Gyeranbbang (계란빵)
Egg Bread

Egg Bread is baked bread filled with boiled egg and topped with sunny side up. It has a unique combination of sweet and salty flavor from the egg. If you are an egg-lover, I bet you won't want to miss this one!

Where to Find?
At street food stall in Myeong-dong area
*You can also find these in another street food stall across Seoul*

How Much?
KRW 2000

#7 Barbecue Chicken (닼불고기)
Barbecue Chicken

Perhaps this one was my favorite food that I have ever eaten in Korea. It consists of grilled marinated chicken served along with banchan (side dishes), rice cake and spicy sauce. It was perfectly marinated and the texture of the meat was amazing!

Where to Find?
At restaurant in Nami Island
*You might also find these in another restaurant across Seoul*

How Much?
KRW 11000

#8 Korean Shaved Ice / Patbingsu (팥빙수)
Korean Shaved Ice

I tried three flavors of Korean Shaved Ice at Sulbing which are Blueberry Cheesecake, Injeolmi and Chocolate. All of them tasted super delicious and my favorites goes to the blueberry cheesecake one. Dessert just can't go wrong for me and I freaking love this Korean Shaved Ice! 

Where to Find?
At Sulbing restaurant in Garosugil area
*You might also find these in another restaurant across Seoul*

How Much?
KRW 6000 - KRW 8000

#9 Korean Fried Rice / Bokkeumbap (볶음밥)
Korean Fried Rice

Korean Fried Rice is basically being eaten directly from the frying pan. It might contains kimchi, spicy sauce and dried seaweed inside it. One word for this dish, delicious!

Where to Find?
At Gosoo Dakgalbi restaurant in Hong-dae area
*You might also find these in another restaurant across Seoul*

How Much?
KRW 4000

#10 Korean Pancake / Pajeon (파전
Korean Pancake

Korean Pancake or pajeon is basically scallion pancake served along with meat and special sauce. I tried the one at Gwangjang Market and the seller (ahjumma) was being super generous as she gave me more and more meat while I was eating. It tasted super delicious and kinda reminds me of Indonesian fritter or "bakwan".

Where to Find?
At street food stall in Gwangjang Market
*You might also find these in another street food stall across Seoul*

How Much?
KRW 3000

#11 Spicy Rice Cake / Tteokbokki (떡볶이)
Tteokbokki

Tteokbokki might be the most mainstream Korean street food and I bet you must have heard about this food before. It is basically a chewy rice cake drenched with spicy sauce and usually served along with fish cake.

Where to Find?
You can basically find this almost everywhere in South Korea

How Much?
KRW 2000 - KRW 3000

#12 Korean Blood Sausage / Soondae (순대)
Soondae

Soondae is made from pig's intestines stuffed with cellophane noodles, barley and pork blood. This might sound gross but Korean really liked this kind of dish. Dare to try?

Where to Find?
At Mapo Dumpling in Hapjeong area
*You might also find these in another street food stall across Seoul*

How Much?
KRW 3000

#13 Korean Pancake / Hotteok (호떡)
Hotteok

Hotteok is probably one of the best street food(s) to eat in cold weather. It is made from fried dough stuffed with brown sugar, cinnamon and chopped nuts. I tried them in many places across Korea, but I have to say that my favorite was the one in Gamcheon Culture Village at Busan as it stuffed with tons of crispy and delicious nuts!

Where to Find?
You can basically find this almost everywhere in South Korea

How Much?
KRW 1000

Hotteok

#14 Triangle Gimbab and Banana Milk
Triangle Gimbab and Banana Milk

This is the best combo for breakfast for me, not only because it tasted pretty delicious and dreamy, it was pretty cheap as well. There are many variants of Triangle Gimbab, but my favorite one is the one with tuna mayo filling. As for banana milk, don't say that you've ever been to South Korea if you never drink this one!

Where to Find?
You can basically find this at convenience store in South Korea

How Much?
KRW 800 - Triangle Gimbab
KRW 1300 - Banana Milk

#15 Watermelon Milk
Watermelon Milk

I am so in love with this watermelon milk because I love watermelon and I love milk and this one was a perfect combination of those two ingredients! I wonder why they didn't sell this one in my country (sigh!)

Where to Find?
You can basically find this at convenience store in South Korea

How Much?
KRW 1100

Cute Cats

(Korean cats are super cute, aren't they?)

Overall, I super duper enjoyed my visit to South Korea and I wouldn't hesitate to go there again if I have the chance. I hope the guide will be useful for you who would like to travel to South Korea and let me know should you have any other suggestions!

I wish all of you Happy New Year 2016 and let's hope that 2016 will be a better year for us all. I'll see you at my next post in #Soompeat next year!


Get latest update on your feed!
Follow me on:

No comments

Powered by Blogger.